Growing up I was a huge Robert E. Howard and Conan fan. I read all the original books, the books by other authors, collected the comics and absolutely loved the movies (even if they had little to do with the original books), so it was pretty strange that a MMO set in the world could be released and I had little to no excitement for it.
Part of it was the fact that Funcom was developing it. I have never liked Funcom. Their releases have been horrible. Anarchy Online was horrible at launch and, from what I read, so was Age of Conan. But, the real reason for my lack of enthusiasm for AoC was the beta of Warhammer. I was so wrapped up in that, I had no time to even look at AoC.
Conan released in, perhaps, an even worse state than WAR. Incomplete and clunky. It followed a similar population arc as WAR as well. Started out huge and then dropped like a rock. As such, I never tried it. Not even a trial.
In the last few weeks, I have been told by numerous people how AoC has turned around. How it runs great, has tons to do at endgame and how the game is much, much better than it was at released. In fact, many have told me it is the best MMO out now, in many respects.
So, I have decided to give it a try. However, knowing nothing about it, I have a lot of questions about the game. I thought I would post them here and see if any readers can answer any of them. Here they are:
- What server has the best population and has a fairly mature player-base? I do enjoy open PvP, so that will factor into the decision as well.
- How does open PvP work? I do not really see any factions, so is it a free-for-all?
- What classes are under-represented and in-demand at endgame? I enjoy most class types, though I prefer physical DPS over magic DPS. Other than that, I can play healer, DPS or tank. I would like a class that can PvP and is wanted/needed in Raids and instances.
- Are the raids and instances WoW-like? Meaning are they more than just tank-and-spank? Aion really disappointed me with its boss fights as did WAR.
- Since I am getting into the game fairly late, how difficult will it be to find a group for low level content? Are there low level instances?
- Are there PvP “battlegrounds” and how do they work? How often do they “pop”?
- Are there any UI mods that make the UI easier to use or that are needed for raiding/PvP?
- Any good guide sites out there to aid with speccing a character?
- Finally, sieging looks really interesting to me, how does sieging work? How often do they happen on PvP-servers as compared to PvE-Servers?